Sunday, September 21, 2014

Week 2

As week number 2 comes to close, there are a couple of things that have stuck out to me.  The first one is the students energy when they enter the class.  It varies so much from day to day.  Our class is at the end of the day so I kind of expect the students to be tired and wanting to go home.  However' one day no one in the class says a word , and then in the next day they are bouncing off the walls.  I could never remember my energy that varied when I was going to school.  Maybe I never noticed it because I wasn't the one that had to run a classroom full of kids like me.  When I asked my CT about it, he said that it is always like that.  He said that it just depends on what is happening during the day. It is kind of nice when the students are a little more entergetic.  They might talk to each other every now and then, but they also do participate a lot more during the lesson.

Another thing that I have noticed is how important it is to establish norms in your classroom early on in the year.  There is one thing in particular that kind of irks me.  Technically, class shouldn't get out until 3:03.  However, at about 3, the students start packing up their things to get ready to go.  Its already 4or 5 weeks into the year and it's already a norm for them to do that.  I'm not sure if the students do it just in my CT's class or every room, but as a teacher that would bug me especially when I'm trying to finish up a lesson.  Either way, it's just something that the students are used to doing.  My CT tries to tell them that they shouldn't pack up until 3:03, but since they are used to it they ignore him and do it anyways.  I wonder if he stated early in the year that they should not pack up until the bell or there would be some sort of consequence, then this may not be a problem.  

1 comment:

  1. Norms! Norms! Norms! Totally! It is important to let students know what expectations you have and hold them accountable for meeting those expectations... especially if you know that it is something that is going to wear on you. I also think you make a good point about not noticing certain thing as a student that you are noticing now that you are viewing the class from a teacher's perspective. Even though it is likely true that some days students are more energetic than others I think your point about how things are better when they have more energy is something to be thinking about. If you want your students to have more energy I think you need to engage them! Even if students come in with not a lot of energy if there is a good task to get them thinking and active you will likely see the kinds of participation you want!

    ReplyDelete