Monday, January 12, 2015

Student Teaching Week 1

One of the classrooms that I am in, the desks are put into groups.  This, I think, helps build a sense of community among the students.  They are always working in pairs or in groups.  In the other room that I'm in the class is in rows.  This doesn't really build a sense of community in the class.  However, the teacher seems to know something about every student in the class.  She has something to talk about with each students and that helps build that community.  One thing that is going well is that there haven't been any kids that have been misbehaving.  They seem to all be well behaved and won't cause that many problems in the future.  One idea that I have come up with is to use my iPad and notability for the notes when I eventually take over the classroom.  Both my teachers write under the doc cam or just on the board.  This will make it easier to upload onto the website for the students and it also may be easier for the students to see because the doc cam is kind of hard to see in my classrooms.  There aren't that many special rules that are in my classes.  Both of my teachers haven't really communicated what the consequences of breaking the rules are to the class.  

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Shields! I noticed you mentioned two different seating arrangements. I wonder if you have thought about how you want your students arranged when you have your own classroom this fall?
    I also noticed you mentioned the use of an iPad in class. I actually just used mine for the first time in class today for a warm up. I really liked it! I was able to create things on Geogebra and then get the images on Notability and use it for a warm up. I enjoyed the freedom to be mobile and not stuck at the table in front. However, it does require some practice! I would definitely recommend doing some practice runs on your own before implementing the lesson. Making notes/diagrams presentable for the students can be a bit difficult.
    I wonder if the poor communication of consequences will lead to problems down the road? Hopefully not!

    ReplyDelete