Friday, February 13, 2015

Assessment and paper load

First there are a couple of great things that one of my CTs does for a students self-assessment.  One is for the homework.  She usually has them up a one sentence summary of of how they felt about the assignment.  Usually, students just write it was fine.  However, there are sometimes where a students writes "I really didn't get this" or "This was hard for me."  I think even that little of a statement is very useful.  If they say either of those, we can pinpoint who's getting and who isn't getting the material.  We can then look out for them while they are in class.  One other thing that my CT while going test is have the students fill out a chart on the problems they got wrong.  Some of the choices are "silly mistake" or "I didn't understand what it was asking for" etc.  I think this helps us especially with when we take the cumulative.  This also helps us pinpoint what we need to go over before they are tested over it again.

One thing that we do to reduce the paper load isn't really reducing the amount of paper at all.  We reduce the amount of work for grading.  What we do in our classroom is that we grade 6 random questions in the assignment.  We grade them on accuracy.  Grading this way usually takes only about 10 min.  I think that this is a good balance of getting students feedback and not spending the whole night grading one homework assignment. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm curious how long the HW assignments are on a daily basis. Would the 6 problems be enough practice for the students? I've been thinking recently that I might assign more problems every night than is really needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that I have tried is having the students grade their own assignment. This causes them to see exactly what they missed and have immediate feedback. The drawback of this method is that students try to pull a fast one. So I tell them that I will grade 3 random problems after they hand them in. It has worked pretty well so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a great idea to have them write a sentence on how they feel. I want to implement that in my classroom right away. It would be great to grade it that day and know what the warm up or what I need to be clearer on the next day/class periods. Also I do the same with the grading with only grading a few problems.. I like this because it is not draining for me to grade but then sometimes I do feel bad because what if I picked the 3 random problems that a certain student just forgot to do or did not understand. I guess that is why they can redo assignments and come in for help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone has great ideas for students assessing their own work! I love the statement about their homework and the chart for the tests. I think I can use this in my classroom. I'm also wondering about have a rating system (1-5) where students can write the number for how well they understood it. I currently don't have anything like this set in place, but these are great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Hayley, the chart for the tests is an awesome idea. I took Logan's advice and started using a smiley face, a straight face, and sad face on reviews for student's to self-check themselves when practicing for tests. I really liked using this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the idea of the one sentence summaries. Like you said, this is a great way to spot those students who might be too scared to ask for help but want to. I could see this being beneficial for any teacher. I also think the chart is a splendid idea. Students will develop a better approach when trying to understand the material if they assess themselves and figure out where they are having troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the idea of having students do self-assessments. It seems like students become more practical learners and more invested when they themselves have to evaluate where the mistakes were made and why. I may have to try using a chart when reworking tests as well. Does your CT just do this on tests, or does she do this with homework too?

    ReplyDelete