Saturday, February 21, 2015

Hearing Impaired students

The topic for this week is the accommodations for students with special needs.  I am very fortunate to get to work with a couple of kids that are hearing impaired.  One of the students is partially deaf, so he can hear and talk but usually uses the translator.  Then the other hearing impaired student is completely deaf.  They're both in the same class together so we have a translator in my classroom for them.  The one thing that is hard for me is when I am giving a lesson and I'm trying to speed through some stuff to get it all in, the translator has to stop me and tell me to slow down.  That can kind of screw with the pace of the class.  The other hard thing is that you can't communicate with them yourself.  I think sometimes with the translator, some things may get lost in translation and may not get to the student the way you wanted it to.  Luckily the translator that they have is pretty good at math so she does a good job of trying not to change what I am saying up a whole lot.  With that being said, I really enjoy having those students and their translator in there.  They are all teaching my how to sign, so they're are a couple of things that I can sign now.

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I feel like you would have to have a translator that's good at math so you could get everything correct. I bet that is hard, but that's an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great experience to have at this point in your career. I will say that you are lucky to have someone that can translate math, it can be especially hard with some of the language and vocabulary that is used on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that you are learning how to sign with your students! Do you have to make any other accommodations for them such as a special cue to know when to focus on the front again or is that the job of the translator?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great experience, Connor. Do you have to be careful in other areas than pacing, such as group work? Also, how cool that you are learning some signs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connor- When they need individual help do you help them, or does the translator just help them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great experience to have in student teaching! It is great that you are learning how it affects pacing.. something I may have not thought of.

    ReplyDelete