Saturday, February 28, 2015

Parental Interaction

I haven't seen that much parental interaction with my CT.  One thing that my CT does is at a certain point in the chapter that we're on, she'll send out an general e-mail to parents of students that are missing more than 4 assignments.  From what I've seen, I'm not sure that this does too much to get the students motivated.  It may do something with just the kids because it seems like it's something that my CT said she has been doing for a while.  I also think she wouldn't do it if she doesn't see an impact that comes from it.  There is also one student whose parents are very involved with their kids learning.  My CT is in contact at least once a week and telling them how he is doing in the class.  There have been a couple of times where my CT has had to call home to parents.  Once was about a kid who wasn't paying attention in class and would just look at a calculator the whole class period.  She had to call home and tell the parents what was going on.  She found out some information on why the kid was struggling in class.  From this, I think that it is best to call home when there are behavior issues that are going on in class, and not necessarily when the student is falling behind on work (unless it's really really bad).

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it seems that phone calls might be better saved for when you need an immediate response from the parent. During a math conference in the fall, I heard a teacher speak who called all of her students' parents within the first two weeks of school with something nice to say about the students. She said it caught a lit of parents by surprise and made future contacts better because the parents more likely knew that the teacher had their child's best interest at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would you change about calling home after four assignments? I am just curious to hear how you would do that. Also, something my CT mentions is that whenever you are calling home, even for bad behavior, make sure to put a positive spin on it and be sure to have a good relationship with that parent right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete