Monday, February 2, 2015

Tech Edge Conference

Going to the Tech Edge Conference was a great experience for me.  It was cool seeing what Aurora is doing with their 1-to-1 classrooms.  Even though it was a conference on one-to-one classrooms, I think that I learned a lot that I could use in a classroom that isn't.  Especially in the first classroom that we went into.  I thought that the heads up game was a great way for students to review vocabulary and sayings that will help them with assignments and tests.  I also thought that the QR reader for the students to see the answers to the review questions was smart.  It's a way for the students to complete the problems without having the key to them right in front of them.  I also thought that the ebackpack was a really good idea.  I wonder if that could still be effective in a non 1-to-1 classroom?  Because I would definitely use that now that I am seeing how unorganized some students are.  One question that I have is how the administration got the teachers that I have been at the school a long time to buy into becoming 1-to-1.  Those teachers have been teaching without it for a long period of time, so I wonder how hard it was for them to accept it.  After this conference I would definitely enjoy teaching at a 1-to-1 school.  The opportunity for every student to have technology in their possession, and using that to supplement their education would be an awesome opportunity.  

3 comments:

  1. I also liked the heads up game. The students looked like they were having so much fun, and they were still reviewing math. I also wonder if the ebackpack program could be effective in a non 1 to 1 classroom. I would like to look into that program more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that teaching in a one to one school would be an awesome opportunity, but I think I would like to teach in a school that has been one to one for a few years. As the Spanish teacher pointed out, there were many challenges the first year and I feel some of those difficulties might hinder students education. As for the administration, I think they were extremely innovative and brave to take this on, but ultimately it sounds like they received positive feedback from faculty and the community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first year of the school I'm at being 1-to-1, and there are definitely some kinks. How do you play the heads up game? I'm going to have to check out the idea of using a QR reader. If teachers are willing to buy into it and take the time to learn how to do it, I think 1-to-1 is a great idea. The issue that I see is teachers who never use the iPads for anything. Most of my students say that only 1 or 2 of their teachers ever use the iPads or have the students use the iPads.

    ReplyDelete