Monday, October 6, 2014
Steve's motivation
Through my 4th week of practicum, there is one kid that I can't quite figure out. For this post lets just call him Steve. Steve has a huge problem with his motivation, and the problem is that he doesn't have any. He never gets out his stuff when they have a warm-up or takes notes in class. Also, when we are doing board work, he always is off goofing off somewhere in the classroom. My CT always has to get on him to stay on task and do what he is supposed to be doing. The thing is that when he is on task he knows most of the material. You would think that if he put a little more effort into his school work he'd know pretty much all the material. Logan and I have even talked to our CT about Steve. He's trying a way to find to get Steve to get motivated to learn the stuff, but he hasn't figured out a way yet. He also said that his mom cares way than Steve about his grades. You would think an extra push from both his mom and teacher would light a spark under him to try in the class, but that's not the case. It's kind of hard when I'm in the classroom to try to get him on task, yet he still ends up goofing around 5 minutes after I say something to him. He sure is good practice for motivating students for my future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Connor - You are right that this is good practice. I think trying to figure out what might help to get Steve motivated is a good "project" for you as you will likely have students like him. How do you think the structure of the class or the types of tasks impacts whether students are engaged or not? I think that trying to figure out what makes all students "tick" and not giving up on anyone is important.
ReplyDelete