DATE
|
Materials w/ Description
|
Teacher interaction
|
Student interaction
|
10/22
|
Anglegs
-
Use anglegs to visualize impossible triangles
Homework
-
14 problems for the students to do
|
-
Gave students directions to make impossible
triangles
-
Assigned to students by teacher
|
-
Students built the impossible triangles and
look at the side lengths
-
Students have to complete it individually
|
10/23
|
Homework
-
8 problems for the students to do
|
-
Assigned to students by teacher
|
-
Students have to complete it individually
|
10/24
|
Homework
-
11 problems for the students to do
|
-
Assigned to students by teacher
|
-
Students have to complete it individually
|
The anglegs that the students use I would say use procedures with connections. In the activity this week they were told to make a triangle using 3 certain sides. They then had to come up with a reason on why they couldn't make a triangle out of them. This activity was a concrete representation of the triangle inequality. The homework would be doing mathematics. The problems follow some sort of pattern using the materials they just learned. There isn't that must complex thinking that is going on.
My CT says that they barely have any control over the curriculum. He usually sets the schedule in plenty of time in advanced. He also gives the students the materials they need through notes. Usually, the only thing that students use to create themselves is when they use the anglegs. My CT does use Geogebra quite a bit, however the students aren't really involved in creating them. The textbook is usually only used for the student's homework. They aren't ever out when he is giving his lecture in class and doesn't refer to it that often. About the only manipulative that the students use is the anglegs. He likes these because it lets the students create shapes and make the discoveries on their own.
From my observation, I think that I would want to use some sort of manipulative in my class whenever I can. I like that it gets the students engaged and involved in their learning. I would use this especially if I teach at a school with a block schedule. From my observation, I have noticed that activities like this take up a lot of time. I don't know if in a normal schedule it would be possible for me to use them. Also, I think that if I had the same book as Southwest, I would do the same thing my CT does. I think the book is only good enough for if students need a couple of examples for them to try to learn the materials a little bit better.
Connor - I requested permission to see the pictures :-) If you make it public than everyone should be able to see it. I'm thinking that maybe you did not mean to describe the homework as "doing mathematics" from your description since you say its follows a pattern and that there isn't that much complex thinking going on. "Doing mathematics" is the highest level of demand as described in the piece we read and describes tasks where there is no established way to get an answer - there is no established practiced routine. So, I am thinking maybe that is not what you meant. I want to encourage you to think about how you can make the use of manipulatives like the AngLegs more time-efficient (a lot of this has to do with having good established routines and also spending time really helping sudente learn how to use such things - it takes some front-loading). I would also think about how the time spent (even if it is more than if your CT has just lectured about the TI) was worth it. How did this activity provide students with a more concrete picture of why the TI "works." How can this help with their understanding? I hope that you will be critical of the text you have and look for ways to improve it so that you can provide more demanding opportunities for your students.
ReplyDelete