Sunday, November 2, 2014

Finding a Balance

My CT creates his own seating charts for his class.  He tries to put students in a way where students sit by other people that they work well with each other.  I do like this strategy that he puts in place.  It lets the students be more comfortable with talking to their neighbors about a problem that they have.  This helps students learn and helps the teacher so that they have less questions to answer.  However, since he likes to put students that work well together, those kids are most likely pretty good friends also.  This means that they talk all the time during class.  He constantly has to tell a couple of pairs to stop talking and pay attention in class.  Since I do agree with the concept of doing this, I kind of want to put in use in my classroom.  However, after seeing the results of what actually happens, I'd much rather have a calm classroom environment and having all my students not distracted.  I wonder if there is any way to find that balance of great partners but ones that pay attention during class.

3 comments:

  1. That's really interesting that your CT places students next to each other, even though it causes distractions during class. I can see how it's beneficial because they're more likely to talk with their partner if they're friends, however that would be really frustrating to continually remind the same students to stop talking. Does your CT seem to get frustrated with it? I definitely think it's important to think about where you're placing students because you want them to feel safe and comfortable. We have about 3 different pairs of students who we try not to seat next to each other because they are too chatty and a couple students who don't seem to get along (they've requested to be moved) so we try not to seat them next to each other either. I wonder if you could create a classroom environment where everyone worked well together, so that wouldn't really be an issue when seating students next to each other? I know that you'll always have chatty students and students who don't get along, but maybe your classroom could be somewhere they can have fun and work at the same time? It'll definitely be interesting when we have to deal with classroom seating charts on our own and it's great you're thinking about it from now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Michelle has a good point Do you think it is possible to create an environment in which all students would feel comfortable working with each other? I have seen this work when the teacher really works hard to set norms for working in pairs or in groups. I think it is a bit easier to do this when you have students in groups as you can teach them certain group behaviors and it is easier to see when they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. Like you said, I think you need to find a balance though. You are never going to get rid of all talking and off-task behavior, but how much of that is okay if for the most part students are engaging in good conversations? This is something that you will have to decide for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to put students who are able to handle sitting next to specific people. By putting those who know each other well you eliminate the opportunity for those who discuss well to interact with those who don't. It is important that you also put those who are good at creating effective discussions with those who don't speak up as much. I think you need to create a norm at the beginning of the school year that all mathematical conversations are valuable, including those incorrect and correct statements. By creating interactive activities you force most students to talk with those at their table. Our CT has will randomize the seats until she thinks that it is a good fit. Our seating chart is comprised of those students who need the most attention at the front. We then have to determine whether some students can handle sitting to others. Currently, the seating chart that I created has been ineffective. I have tried to group those who submitted their consent forms on one side of the classroom, It has proven to be difficult because many of those students can't handle sitting next to each other. Make sure you keep all of this in consideration when implementing your own seating chart!

    ReplyDelete