Sunday, November 23, 2014
Tests
The past couple of week our class has had a number of tests. So during the time the students are taking them I have gotten to think about if I like the way LPS has the standardized test that the district writes. The positives that come out of the district writing the test is that you don't have to write it, so you can spend more time on grading for other classes or just time relaxing. Another positive from this is that you get help form other teachers if you have a question on how to grade a problem if you have trouble with something. The negative (and I think it's a pretty big one) is that it limits your individuality in designing a lesson plan. Having the pre-written test makes you have to teach to the test a little bit. Our CT does this in his lessons. He has to make sure he has examples that are going to be on the test so the students get to see it at some point. After weighing the positives and negatives, I think I'm still indifferent about it. I would be fine with it if the district I teach in in the future does either of these.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also have yet to form my complete opinion on standardized tests. I would like to teach material that I believe is important and not be held to the time constraints and depth-levels that standards seem to give. I would also like to be able to design tests that will accurately assess my students' learning. However, I can see how standards could help beginning teachers in making sure that their students are reaching the benchmarks that other students in the districts are required to meet.
ReplyDelete