The past couple of days, I have been teaching a lesson on inscribed angles. The lesson was something that the PLC had planned out already. So I didn't know how well that it was going to do with this. For this, we had the students use a circle with 36 dots on the circle evenly spaced apart. First, we had the students draw an equilateral triangle in the circle. Then we had them find the relationship between the inscribed angle and the arc that it makes. Then to make sure the pattern is true for a couple of other cases, we had the students do the same with a square and hexagon. The one thing that I was worried about was if the students were going to be able draw an equilateral triangle other than by "it looks like one." Luckily, there were a couple of students that I could call on to explain how they did it. Then after that the rest of the lesson went pretty smoothly. This was way better than a lesson that I taught in my practicum on the same subject. In my practicum lesson, I had the students use protractors to find what the arc measures were. The protractor skill of some students aren't really up to par. So it was nice to have the circle where it was easy to tell what the measure of the arc was. This is definitely a lesson I will use in my geometry lesson next year.
And in the spirit of the event that happened this week, I'll end this post with a motto from Wahoo Schools...
IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A WARRIOR
Sounds like a great lesson! That's awesome you were able to do a hands on activity with your students instead of just lecturing about inscribed angles. Did you have the students each try to draw their own equilateral triangle and then call on the students who did it correctly to explain how they did it? Or did you call on those students before so that all students did it correctly in the first place? Did a lot of students have to re-draw their triangles?
ReplyDeleteAnd congratulations on the job! So exciting!! :)
I like how you had the 36 point circle. I definitely didn't teach it the same way for my students this week, but I think that I like your method much more. Did you talk about central angles as well? How did the students who didn't get it at first respond to the activity? Nice work!
ReplyDelete