Sunday, March 29, 2015
Revisit: Classroom management
This past week I subbed for three days for one of my CTs. Out of all the classes that she supervises, the hardest one for me to do was a study hall. One reason why this was the hardest class for me was because it took forever to get over. The other reason why it was hard for me was because it was all classroom management, and this is the biggest thing that I need to work on. In the class aren't the type of students that will just get out work and start working on it. I constantly had to tell students to turn around and stop talking, or to get something out and work on it. Still no matter what I told them they would just go back to messing around and not being productive. I had no idea what to say to them that would make them get to work. Looking back at it, I should have disciplined one student at the beginning of the class to make them realize that I was serious and put some weight behind my words. This is actually the one thing I need to do with all my classes when they are getting out of hand, I think that as time goes on and I become more comfortable with disciplining, my classroom management will get a lot better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel the EXACT same way! I definitely need to get better at disciplining students right when the class starts, and actually doing something when I have to continuously call on students, rather than just saying loudly that I need their attention or calling out the same students numerous times. I think it is also hard coming in as a student teacher though. I feel like I came in more as a friend, rather than an authority figure. I think that had I started teaching on the first day, without knowing the students (like we will at our first teaching job), it will be easier to discipline the students and be strict about classroom expectations.
ReplyDeleteThe classroom management technique my CT uses and I plan on introducing day one in my classroom is that you get one warning. If I have to call your name, that's your one warning, when I call it again - you're done. I will have to find out what my school's discipline strategy/policy is and then take appropriate action, actually following through on what I say.